Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Summer Fun

These are a couple of the reasons we love summer and stay super busy. We are blessed with a lot of garden area (dirt) and my dad who lets us use his tractor and rototiller to till it, so we take full advantage of it. We always plant way more than needed. My husband says we've got the space why not use it. Which is funny he would say that because I have to say I planted everything this year and so far have done most the labor. He has transplanted a lot of the pumpkin volunteers though, which are kind of his baby. He planted a lot last year and sold them cheap on our BUSY street corner. He plans to do the same this year. So what does the garden consist of?? Grapes, raspberries, potatoes, (three hundred plants to be exact and I think every last one of them came up), carrots, peas, peppers, cilantro, tomatoes (36 plants), onions, summer squash, zuchinni, cucumbers, and pumpkins. I'm lacking green beans, which I normally plant, but we have near 120 quarts already bottled from previous years, so I decided to not plant them. So, if you live near and in need of produce I'm sure we'll have some to spare. We enjoy sitting down to a meal with a great portion of it being from our backyard.


A couple different angles of it. You can't see it all, but you get the jist.

And these babies here are straight from the field. Forty pounds of fresh strawberries. I know I got kind of carried away. But today they were being sold $.50/lb. cheaper than normal because the bad wind the night before caused them to have more sand on them. That's what they told us over the phone anyways. When I got there though the gal had told me they were going to be normal price and I said, but this morning when we called you quoted us $.50 cheaper. Anyways, come to find out they thought they were more sandy than what they really were. Just some of the top ones had more sand. Anyhow, she gave them to me for the price quoted over the phone. So I went ahead and bought more than I probably needed, but I didn't want to run short and have to go back for more and pay full price. I'm kind of a tight wad (sp?) I know so when I get a deal I sometimes go overboard. Food storage right? So my agenda for tomorrow is FREEZER JAM. I'm completely out so this 40 pounds may be needed.

And last, but not least--We all love to be outside in the warm sunshine. The last several days though you wouldn't think it was summer. We haven't been out too much because we're all freezing. I was even tempted to turn the heat on, but dressed in my winter clothes instead bundled in blankets. (I'm watching the news and it's supposed to be 81 degrees tomorrow. Yay!) When it was feeling like summer though this little guy came out in this. Boots--2 different sizes and 2 different colors. I love it. And the hammer was in tote for cracking walnuts. We have 5 walnut trees and the older kids like picking them up and hammering them. Carson has learned very well and was doing just that. (Kaden had just been doing it)

I've realized I post a lot of pictures of Carson in just his diaper. He really does have clothes. He'd prefer to go without it all if he had a choice. And being outside he tends to get wet playing in water so I end up taking his clothes off.

7 comments:

Kim, Tanys, Jason and Hailey said...

So cute!! I love the two different color boots! Kids are way too fun. Thanks for helping me realize once again, that the toys scattered in the living room is not that big of a deal!! Good for you guys on the garden. That is one thing I really miss about our home in Idaho...a garden and yard work. You just can't get that in apartment living!! I wish we lived close to share in your "abundance".

David and Kira said...

Great job on the garden! I'm surprised you don't have any strawberries?! Yummy!! I would love some of the produce also...distance is a problem though!

Anonymous said...

i am glad you are a go getter and have room for a garden. Now you can do all the work and I will take the leftovers:) I have an apricot tree, I'll swap with ya. Those strawberries look sooooo yummy, by far my all time favorite. Carson could be a diaper model:)

The Price Family said...

I think the perfect picture of a country/farm baby is a diaper and boots. So cute!

BriAnne said...

What is it with toddlers and hammers? Hunter has this toy hammer that he hammers all over the house with. I'm positive that Hannah and Jake must think we have bar fights down here.....although they always swear they don't hear a thing.:) (They're very nice like that) And P.S., you're really making my garden look pathetic.:)

Mak Attack said...

Jen, where did you get your strawberries? I thought I was getting a deal at $1.50/lb. Your garden sure looks great. Wish we had more dirt. Makala

tHe PitCheR mEmoRiEs said...

I love your BIG garden! I am so jealous! Here on our little acre in the city we haven't gotten to grow a garden, but we are looking for more land to build our next house on and room for a garden is definitely a priority!:)
You are such a good mom!:) Have fun making strawberyy jam..I just made some the other day and it was so good!