Thursday, March 11, 2010

March 8, 2010, Bailey, Carson, and I were heading to town, for Bailey's 6 month well check. With us, was also my mom, who came to get a few last things for my sister Ariana's mission. We were 5 minutes from town and my mom receives a phone call, and by her reaction I knew it wasn't good. We were in a bad area for service, so the conversation was in and out, so I drove a bit more and pulled over. It was Ariana informing my mom, that my Grandma Cook (my mom's mother), had just passed away. Her and my grandpa were in California, traveling home from vacationing, visiting family, and going to a Mariners Baseball Game (which she was a huge fan of), when she passed. I tried keeping it together throughout the day, but I'm sure people were wondering what in the world was wrong with me. My grandma was an incredible example to me. As a young girl, I loved visiting their home. We always had a contest who could see their house first, after coming over the last hill. I still do that with Brian and the kids. There used to be a little ice cream shop close to their house and she would take us grandkids there and I would always get bubblegum flavor. As a child I thought her house was so cool (still do), with so many things. How many people do you know with a fountain in their entry way, that always sounds like a little stream running, or a drinking fountain in their home? To a kid that's pretty fun. Grandma was always so active with her grandchildren and great-grandchildren. It was in her swimming pool, that she taught me to swim, float on my back, dive, and attempt to do a back dive (I'm still too chicken to try again). She was always in the water with us. She could be found playing a game of volleyball or softball with the young people, even as a "grandma." She loved gardening, and seeing her yard would manifest that love. It's beautiful! Grandma was always positive about everything in life. The last several years, she has had extreme back pain/problems, a couple surgeries to try to fix the problem. When asked how she was feeling, it was always a positive remark, when you know she hurt (nearly every waking hour). She was always a faithful member of the church and loved the gospel. Her and my grandpa served several missions, many to South America. She had a great love for the people there! She could be found at the temple every week, serving there, at the time of her passing. She loved her family. Her doors were always open for a visit and loved to have family in her home. My kids love going to "Grandma Cooks". Although, it brings much comfort and peace of knowing where she is now, my heart just aches for my grandpa. And I must say, that he is just as incredible as my grandma. I will always remember her hugs, kisses, smile, generosity, kindness, love, and testimony of the gospel.
WE LOVE YOU GRANDMA!
Me, Bailey and Grandma at Bailey's blessing!
Christmas 2009--Grandma & BaileyI used to be so good getting a family photo when we visited. I've slacked recently and now regret not having an up-to-date photo with my family and my grandparents.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Loved the post! Isn't she so beautiful?