Thursday, December 18, 2008

Conversation with the Hubby

Here's a little background before I inform you of a conversation between my husband and I. Brian's only day off work this week was Sunday and Wednesday (he signed up for extra shifts), which leaves Wednesday my only option to go to town without kids to finish up Christmas shopping, items for class parties, etc. Brian had an eye appointment that same day at 9 a.m. so he goes to his appointment while I get the girls off to school and the boys and I ready for town. The girls are off and the boys and I head to town and stop at a couple stops before we meet up with Brian to swap kids. We meet up with Brian and he heads home with the boys, while I'm off to shop. By the time he gets home it's near 11 a.m. and I get home later that evening around 6:30 p.m. So technically he's only having to take care of the kids for 7 1/2 hours, which didn't consist of running around trying to get kids breakfast, dressed, off to school, and out the door, basically just home making sure no one kills themselves or each other and to be fed. I walk in the door to find him doing the dishes (remember we don't have a dishwasher), and the first thing he says to me is, "I can't wait to get back to work tomorrow!"
I ask, "Why's that?"
He reply's, "Because these kids are a hand full!"
I didn't really know what to say. I just said, "and you wonder why I go crazy sometimes."
The only thing I could do was chuckle while a million thoughts were running through my mind. Did he think my role as a mommy was easy?? I think he has to be reminded every so often, and the only time that ever happens is when he's home alone with them. Anyhow, I did feel kind of guilty that his day off was spent caring for the kids, but when I really thought about it, he got a little taste of what it's like for me to not get any day off. I can't even consider the Sabbath a day off. Not all things in life are easy, but I feel some of my greatest challenges are my greatest blessings. Thanks Brian for taking care of the kids!

6 comments:

Kimberly said...

Toby always says that too. Or he'll say, I might as well go to work because if I stay home you'll just put me to work or make me babysit. My response is... there are things that need done.

BriAnne said...

Ha ha ha.....Kyle said the same thing yesterday!! (only he didn't even have to watch them). They were running around all crazy and he asked why they were acting like that. I said, "That's what it's like all day." He just stared at me dumbfounded. "How do you do it all day?" I'll have to remind him of that the next time he acts like being a stay-at-home Mom is a vacation.:)

Anonymous said...

Oh dear I think Chad and Brian are way more alike than we think. When we're home they both sit there and act like they don't know that they have kids while we're running around tending to them. Then they have to watch them for a couple hours and they think their life is over. Chad likes to use the phrase, "I'm glad I married a Salisbury girl, they're used to it". HA,HA!! I say we go on a vacation without cellphones and leave them home together with the kids and let them figure it out! I do need to give Chad a little bit of credit, he has been doing a lot better. I guess give him 5 more years and he may have it down! MAYBE!!

Jenks Family said...

All men are alike i think, i think it is nice for them to have the kids sometimes it makes them know why we are stressed out sometimes.

The Price Family said...

I think any mom that reads that will have a smile on her face when shes done! Can't we all relate. I have to give Brian a thumbs up though because at least he was doing the dishes. Sometimes I come home and the house is a mess which causes more cleaning for me! But at least they watch the kids for us right?, Its good for them :)

Jackie said...

7 1/2 hrs? I'm impressed! Eric dies when I go to my 30 minute piano lesson once a week.