Sunday, January 4, 2009

Tomorrow....four days ago

We had a ward New Years Eve Party, which included a Talent Show. I had asked the girls to sing a song, knowing that the response would be "NO!", but continued to ask and talk about how great it would be. They sing all the time at home and really enjoy it. Our kids all have a stage freight problem, and are usually very shy. There has only been a time or two when there hasn't been tears just giving a talk in primary. Anyhow, so I asked them if they'd sing and the only songs they wanted to sing were High School Musical songs. Although they know literally every word to every song, I wasn't thrilled about them singing any of them. The lyrics are just a little too mature for a 6 year old. So, it was 3 days before the party and I was still trying to convince them of another song. I really wasn't sure what other song I could have them sing, then the song, "Tomorrow" from Annie came to mind. They'd never even heard it before, but I thought it would be great. I got on the internet and added it to my playlist and had them listen to it. Then I remembered we got the movie from Santa for christmas and had them watch it. They loved it. I still got a "NO" response about the song choice, but I kept repeating the music and singing the song. I printed off the lyrics for the girls to read and I found Whitney quickly following along. She was hooked and agreed to sing. If Marissa was to sing it was still only going to be to High School Musical (Gotta Go My Own Way). So at this point only Whitney was going to be singing. The day of the program Whitney was in tears and said she wasn't sure she wanted to do it. I told her how cute it would be and that she had practiced so well. I continued to bribe and asked Marissa if she would sing with her sister. She said fine, and Whitney agreed to sing if Marissa did. We practiced a few times and the girls were having so much fun singing. They knew the words, but still wanted to have them while singing (and also wanted music with words and were a little off in some places). Anyways, we arrived at the party, I took them up stage when it was their turn and the rest you can watch. Right before going on stage I thought Whitney was going to have a major breakdown. She was so scared. Brian was working that night and made it just in time for their performance. We were so pleased with them. This was a huge step for them.
Here's the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6FWKlwlgD0

5 comments:

Jenks Family said...

The girls did great job singing, madalyn wants to sing next time with them.

Anonymous said...

They did such a cute job! I am so impressed they did it, I hope our kids don't have the same stage fright I have. But I am already seeing it in Kyla, bummer:(

ellsworth family said...

So cute! Great performance girls!!!

Clyde Family said...

Jen,
Ok so going shopping for me is never any fun. I usually take them because i feel bad leaving them. My mother law has them all the time just to play so i hate to ask. anyways when this 3rd one comes i am going to be home all the time. i am not going to take the chance of that. I still do sell scentsy and i give you a 15% discount on it. if i can't get 150 in an order i have to charge shipping. but you still get 15% off of it.
nicole

Jackie said...

That is so cute, I bet you were so proud when they did it. By the way, a little stage fright isn't such a bad thing. See my latest post for why.