Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Thyroid Surgery

Back in August a nurse that Brian works with noticed a lump on the left side of his neck and asked him about it. He never noticed it until then and asked one of the ER doctors about it and he suggested he get it checked out. August 21st he had an appointment with our primary care doctor and he said it was a thyroid goiter (tumor) and ordered labs and an ultrasound and referred him to a thyroid doctor. A week later, he went in for a couple scans and the results were a cold nodule, which usually means non-cancerous. But the tumor needed to be removed. So, September 18th (2 weeks after I had Bailey), Brian went in for surgery to have it removed. Surgery went well. The doctor said it was the size of a lemon, and the biopsy results were 80% there was no cancer, but couldn't say for sure until he got final results. He followed up a week later, and the doctor said the pathologist saw a little something and wanted a second opinion so they sent it to a specialist in Pennsylvania. So, now he's saying it's 50/50 chance of it being cancerous. So, we have to wait another week before we know for sure. We get a call a week later saying, there was cancer, but a very small amount. Because it was so little, the only thing they would have done was remove the left side of the thyroid, which was already done. The surgeon double checked with an Oncologist to be sure and he said, they had done the right thing. We feel very blessed and grateful with the outcome.
I'm bummed this is the only picture I got. Carson was snuggling with daddy. It was funny because when Brian came out of recovery and was in the hospital Carson didn't want to even touch him. Brian had his neck all wrapped and hooked up to IV's and wasn't too sure about it all. Once he got home though, and only had a bandage on his incision, he was o.k. with that.

6 comments:

marciekoch said...

Jenn,
I'm so glad Brian's ok - what a scare! You're a good caretaker! And - Bailey is dang cute!!
Marcie

Enriquez Family said...

oh wow! that could of been scary! and the size of a lemon? crazy!

David and Kira said...

IT's a good thing someone noticed the lump!! Glad all went well and that the news was good! I can't believe how big Bailey has gotten. She looks really long in the bath picture.

Shaun&jennifer said...

OHH, I hope that this means your "3" is up and good luck for awhile.

Meredith Salisbury said...

Wow looks like both our families dodged the cancer bullet! Scary. I am so glad everything turned out how it did. We love you Brian!

The Price Family said...

The thyroid is starting to scare me! To hear about Brian and two other people I know within the last month have had thyroid cancer. I'm happy to hear that he is okay.
And I wasn't happy to hear about the dang dog, what a tough little boy you have.