Thursday, November 20, 2008

Ultrasound

Did I make any of you wonder by my post title that I might be pregnant?? Not exactly! I took Kaden in for an ultrsound the other day for a check-up on his right kidney. He was only born with one so every few years they check things out just to make sure everything looks good and is working correctly. His pediatrician called yesterday to inform me that he received the information from it and that there have been minor changes, that I need to get his labs done and follow-up with his Urologist. When questioned about the changes, he informed me that he wasn't authorized to discuss them with me. I'm still not sure why, considering the fact that he's my child's pediatrician, shouldn't both Doctors be able to discuss the issue? Guess not! So, trying not to worry, I have to wait to find out what these changes are. I'm hoping that the word minor is nothing to worry about, but still I will until I follow-up with his specialist. This is the bear that the girls doing the ultrasound gave to Kaden. (Which, those girls told me his kidney looked good. Who knows?) He was so brave. He was in tears before we left for the appointment as I explained to him what they were going to do and that nothing was going to hurt. Through the tears he kept informing me that, "he didn't want to go and that he didn't want them to take a picture of his belly button!" I'm not sure where he came up with his belly button, but it was sure sweet hearing him talk about how concerned he was about them taking a picture of it. I promised him that if he did really good, I'd take him to the store to pick something (little) out. His choice was a power ranger camera ($3), but the only one they had was broke, so he settled for marbles. I love you, Kaden!


--I just spoke with the Urologist office and their first available appointment in the Tri-City Office is the first week in March (2009). For real?? So I asked when the next available appointment is in their Spokane Office (which is where we went last time)? It's December 17th. I explained my concern and that I wasn't going to wait until March to find out what was going on (I was informed she doesn't do phone consultations). He told me that he would pull his Ultrasound CD's and if the Doctor thinks it's urgent he'll try to get us in sooner to their Tri-City Office. Otherwise, this momma and son, is making a trip to Spokane for an appointment. I should know more in a couple days.

12 comments:

Lisa Christine said...

I totally, and completely understand your concern. And I wouldn't stand for it. I would INSIST that he do a phone consultation. I wouldn't even wait till the 17th of December. You are his mother and deserve to know what is going on NOW. And your pediatrician should most certainly tell you all he knows. Keep fighting for info! Get pushy...it works for me :)

Kimberly said...

Does he see Dr. Starr? We have an appointment with her on January 9th in Kennewick. We have been to her Spokane office too. You reminded me that I need to make Mason's appointment for his ultrasound!

Unknown said...

Man, we see an amazing urologist here for Cooper and once for myself and sorry to say we have experienced Dr. Starr and she wasn't immpressive at all! Sorry Toby and Kimberly if you like her but she gave us a sheet of paper of a website she had never been to she said and to come back if we have more questions...So we did see Dr. Ellison here in Coeur d'Alene and he is great! He actually did my kidney stone surgery...I know that it is out of state but people over here flip flop to wash. and idaho all the time...I hope that all goes well and the labs come back with good news!

Jackie said...

SO frustrating and scary. December 17 sounds like a long time away when you are waiting for info on your kids. Good luck!

David and Kira said...

Wow, how many are born with only 1 kidney?! Hope all goes well! The unknown is the worst!!

Jenks Family said...

Dr's make me so mad sometimes, they don't think of the worry they put us moms through. Come on why can't they at least tell you something over the phone. I would not wait that long, good luck.

BriAnne said...

I didn't even know that about Kaden. I hope everything goes well for you guys. I won't tell you my opinion of doctors because it's generally not very polite:), but hopefully you'll get to be seen soon.

P.S., I totally fell for it and thought you were pregnant. Thanks.:)

Salisbury's said...

I totally thought you were announcing that your were pregnant!! Sorry to hear about Kaden. That is so frustrating!! I really hate how they give you news and then make you wait months (or weeks) - I mean come on don't they know that is all you are going to think about!! I think you need to DEMAND some information (easier said than done)!! Good Luck and tell Kaden he is such a sweet heart!

Anonymous said...

to me that means your pediatrician doesn't know what they heck is going on so he wants you to discuss it with the urologist. And please they can squeeze a consultation in if it means staying 15 minutes late, heaven forbid!! Hope you get seen sooner than that and everything is fine:)

The Davis Family said...

We took Carter to Dr. Starr when we lived in Montana (a 4 hour drive), so it could be worse! They need more Pediatric Urologists around because it's ridiculous to have to wait months to see a specialist. We've learned with Carter that it's just what you have to do unless your doctor makes the appointment - those doctors can pull some strings if it's serious enough!

marciekoch said...

me! i totally thought you were announcing something!!!
I didn't know that about Kaden either. What are the odds of that?! My Dad has lived with only one kidney for about 20 years and it worked like a champ when he was burned. We were worried about it - but it was just fine!

Anonymous said...

the game is on saturday at noon.