Saturday, September 13, 2008

PICKY, PICKY, PICKY

Does anyone else ever have problems with their kids not eating? I've about had it. I'm tired of hearing, "I don't like that!" And they haven't yet tryed it!! That just irritates me! Whitney is generally my best eater, Marissa is my WORST, Kaden has his moments, and Carson never stops. I share this because I have to write what happened the other day with Kaden. I was getting the kids lunch and I think he picked at his food and maybe had a couple bites and then said he was done.
Me: "No you're not!"
Kaden: "I'm not hungry anymore."
Me: "I don't care, come finish your food."
Kaden: "But I'm not hungry."
Me: "Fine, go hungry, they'll be nothing until dinner and you can just starve!"
He proceeded to go play and after a minute came back and said, "Mom, if I starve will I die?"
Me: "No."
Kaden: He started to cry and said, "but mom I don't want to starve and die."
I informed him that he wasn't going to die, but that he would be very hungry. When my kids start whining about not liking things and not wanting to eat anymore, I tell them that I'm tired of wasting food and that there are a lot of starving kids who would want the food we have, and how there are little kids just like them who sometimes die because they don't have much food. Kaden apparently listened, and was worried that this just might be the case if he didn't eat. It was precious.
The other night I went to an Open House for my girls school and the teacher informed me Marissa doesn't eat her lunch. She said she drinks her milk (which I think is usually chocolate) and maybe a couple bites of something else, so if she's starving when she gets home that's why. What's new!! I'm not sure how that girl survives. It probably explains why she's 15 pounds less than Whitney. So, I told her she has to eat 5 bites of everything or else.....
I make them take hot lunch because I thought it would force them to eat things. Apparently not. Whitney on the other hand informs me she eats all her lunch, and I believe her.
I stress when my kids don't eat and it's even worse when you make something that every kid likes and they still don't like it. Well, too bad. They're gonna learn to like things.

3 comments:

David and Kira said...

Nice to know I'm not the only one with this problem! It REALLY sucks as a mother doesn't it?! Let me know when you find the solution. David threatens no toys or t.v. for a week, and that seems to help a little. Now to just follow through with that...

Blake and Tristan said...

I totally know what you mean. Andrew is the absolute worst about all of that. I don't know if it is his age (3) or if it is just him. He makes a funny face before he has ever even chewed it and says he doesn't like it.

ellsworth family said...

Oh Jenn, you crack me up!