Monday, September 1, 2008

Disaster Strikes




I'm thinking the terrible two's have hit my son and he's not even two yet. The last couple weeks he has been an absolute NAUGHTY boy, and those are nice terms. The word to describe him is more like a TERROR. I may not be remembering correctly, but I'm thinking he has done more damage himself than my other 3 kids ever did. Even when I had 2 girls his age at the same time, I don't think they did half the things he did. But like I said, I may have just forgotten. Most the disasters have come from him learning how to unscrew lids. Let me just recap a few of the "naughty" things he has been involved in.
*I have a BIG container of Germ X sitting on my piano so it's out and accessible, but yet put out of reach from Carson. He climbs to get it and takes off the lid and dumps it all over my carpet. Near half the container.
**Getting into the toothpaste and smearing it all over himself as if it was lotion. I think I posted a picture of that in a previous post.
**Getting hold of the Desitin (the thick stuff)and again rubbing it all over his body, even all over his face, and some in the carpet.
**The girls have a couple lotions in their nightstand drawer and he gets into them and squirts lotion everywhere on himself and the carpet.
**This next occasion tops them all--1. Because it was at someone else's house and 2. Because it involves LIQUID FOUNDATION!!
Last night we were at my Aunt and Uncle's house playing May I (Card game like Phase 10). Which has become pretty much a weekly ritual. We had just started and Carson comes to me with a bottle of liquid foundation, opened and some spilt on his foot. I'm thinking, "Oh please let that be the only place it is at." But in the back of my mind I'm thinking, "How long has he had this, and where has he been. Because if he's been playing with it for very long I can only imagine the damage." So I get up and go see where he had gotten it and as I turn the corner to go down the hall, my eyes see PURE DISASTER!! I think I screamed and told my Aunt to come see what he'd done. It was everywhere. How in the world was that going to clean up without leaving any spots?? I felt so awful. I could have hurt my child at that moment. I did spank him, but surely not what he deserved. We used every sort of carpet cleaner she had to try to get the mess out. I then called a friend who has a carpet cleaner to see if we could borrow it to suck up all the cleaners we had put into the carpet as well. She was so kind to let us and even came to help finish it up. It's bad enough when your kid does stuff like this at your own house, but it's a thousand times worse when it's at someone else's. I was somewhat surprised that it cleaned up as well as it did, but the results are still not flawless. Which, is so frustrating when the carpet is not even a year old. So, the future games of May I will be held at my house because I'm not sure I'd be at peace sitting there wondering what my child was into.
**And then this morning, I walk into the kitchen and find him with a chair pushed to the counter and he's standing on top the counter, getting into the far cupboard where I keep the medicine. You're probably thinking why in the world I don't have a child lock on it, but when you've never had a problem with a child getting into it, I didn't see the need. And besides, they all have lids that supposedly children can't open. Well, my 22 month old can apparently because he opened a prescribed bottle of chewable Singulair tablets. And yes, I pulled 3 from his mouth. The bottle started with 30, there were 13 left, but my daughter takes them daily and I knew she'd been on that bottle for almost 2 weeks. But I called my husband, who was at work in the Emergency Room, to ask just in case and unless he consumed the entire bottle, there wasn't a need to worry. PHEW!! So, I tell my husband to stop after work and get locks to put on my cupboard and he tells me to spank his fanny and put him in his bed. Well, of course I wasn't going to sit there and love him for what he just had done, but at the same time why not fix the problem so it can't happen again. But I don't like it when he pushes the chairs to get onto the countertops either and I'm not going to bolt the chairs to the ground, so I still have to deal with that issue. He is now waking from his nap and we'll see how many more things he can destroy in less than 24 hours. He will learn the consequences for such behavior and hopefully for his sake he learns sooner than later. I better run!!

4 comments:

5dollarFanatic said...

Poor Jen..I hope things get better with him. My kids still make messed but they aren't the nightmare ones lately. And definitely locks make you breathe easier..we even had one on our fridge for a while.LOL!!

Anonymous said...

oh BOY! As Kyla would put it "you little STINKER"! Send him to my house, he doesn't like me and that would be punishment enough:)

Kim, Tanys, Jason and Hailey said...

I laughed through the whole post...and I am sorry!! I know how frustrating it is, especially considering his age!! I guess Carson has too much of his dad in him...huh?? Too bad Jen has to be the one to deal with it!! Hang in there Jen. You are more of a women than me. I would throw the towel in and walk away!!

Anonymous said...

The carpet looks great. Please don't worry another minute about it. You are more important to us than any silly carpet. Carpet can be replaced if necessary (which is not needed) but there's only one you and we love you.
"Aunt" Krista